Proper operation of the Howden WRV compressor - WRVi
1. Check the oil level in the tank.
2. Check that all required gas, oil and water valves are open.
3. Start the lubricating oil pump motor.
4. Make sure that the power control valves are in a fully unloaded position.
5. Start the drive element and check that all sensors have normal readings.
1. Stop the drive element.
2. After the compressor is stopped, the control system should be used to move the spool to the discharge position until the control system does so automatically.
3. After the compressor stops rotating, stop the lubricating oil pump motor.
4. Close all gas and water shut-off valves.
The compressor is now ready for the next starting action.
PROCEDURES DURING SHUTDOWN
The Howden WRV screw compressor operates on a mixture of oil and gas. Short shutdown periods do not have a negative impact on the device.
If the compressor is switched off for a long period of time, the lubricating oil pump should be turned on for about ten minutes every week to distribute the oil within the unit.
Rotate the compressor drive shaft by hand several times every week. This will help avoid brinelling the anti-friction bearings.
If the shutdown period is three months or more, you should continue the above procedure; in addition, you must turn on the compressor unit for one hour every three months.
Alternatively, for greater protection against corrosion, you can drain off conventional lubricating oil, replace it with anticorrosive oil, and first start the unit for one hour and then turn it on for one hour every three months.
Before returning the compressor unit to normal operation, remove the anticorrosive oil and fill the system with normal oil.
During the shutdown period in cold conditions, all elements of the water-cooled system should be emptied or the cooling water flow should be maintained to avoid frost damage.
ANTICORROSIVE OILS APPROVED FOR USE WITH HOWDEN SCREW COMPRESSORS
List of approved anticorrosive oils suitable for use on a Howden screw compressor before prolonged shutdown:
SHELL - ENSIS ENGINE OIL 10W
ESSO - RUST-BAN 335 or 337
MOBIL - MOBILARMA 524
CALTEX - CALTEX PRESERVATION OIL 10W
If you have any doubts about the compatibility of these oils with the gas you are using, contact the manufacturer or dealer.