Normal operation of the Howden XRV 127 compressor
1. Check the oil level in the tank.
2. Check that all required gas, oil and water valves are open.
3. Check that the power control valve is fully unloaded and that the Vi liquid factor screw is installed. Clockwise for 2.6. Counterclockwise for 5.0.
4. Start the drive element and check that all sensors have normal readings.
5. Load the compressor - the oil supplied to the cylinder includes the compressor spool, which moves to the “under load” position.
1. Stop the drive element.
2. After the compressor is stopped, the control system should be used to move the spool to the discharge position until the control system does so automatically.
3. After the compressor stops rotating, stop the lubricating oil pump motor, if it is installed.
4. Close all gas and water shut-off valves.
The compressor is now ready for the next starting action.
The Howden XRV screw compressor operates on a mixture of oil and gas. Short shutdown periods do not have a negative impact on the device.
If the compressor is switched off for an extended period of time, the lubricating oil pump (if installed) should be switched on for about ten minutes every week to distribute oil within the unit.
Rotate the compressor drive shaft by hand several times every week. This will help avoid brinelling the anti-friction bearings.
If the shutdown period is three months or more, you should continue the above procedure; in addition, you must turn on the compressor unit for one hour every three months.
Alternatively, for greater protection against corrosion, you can drain ordinary lubricating oil, replace it with anticorrosive oil, and first start the oil pump for one hour and then turn it on for one hour every three months.
NOTE: Before returning the compressor unit to normal operation, remove the anticorrosive oil and fill the system with normal oil.
During the shutdown period in cold conditions, all elements of the water-cooled system should be emptied or the cooling water flow should be maintained to avoid frost damage.
List of approved anticorrosive oils suitable for use on a Howden screw compressor before prolonged shutdown:
SHELL ENGINE OIL 30
ESSO RUST-BAN 335 or 337
MOBIL ARMA 524
CALTEX CALTEX PRESERVATION OIL 10W
If you have any doubts about the compatibility of these oils with the gas you are using, contact the manufacturer or dealer.